Pamper your guests’ skin with natural and organic oils
We know the benefits of bath soaks, masks, and body creams for pampering your guests, and body oil can perfectly round out your yacht spa experience. Body oils can help alleviate dryness, soften rough edges and most importantly, nourish the skin barrier.
Sceptical about what a body oil can do for your guests? We’re covering why oils benefit the skin, the best times to use an oil, and our recommendations. Get ready to double down on maximum moisture!
Body Lotion Vs. Body Oil
Body oil is simply an oil that you can use on and below your neck. They can range anywhere from inexpensive mineral oils to more luxurious (and higher quality) plant oils. Ideally, a body oil should sink into the skin and not leave you feeling greasy. They’re often not much different from facial oils, though certain body oils might be too greasy or heavy for the face.
PRO TIP: One of the best body oil we offer is Bamford 125 ml Body Oil Botanic– it’s a perfect starter oil for any skin type.
If you’re wondering how a body oil is different from a lotion, the answer lies in its fatty content. Oils contain several types of fatty acids. Some of the most important among them are linoleic and oleic acids; these fatty acids are also known as omega-6 and omega-9. They’re important for protecting our skin barrier since they play a role in helping us fight off sun damage and skin ageing.
Skin lotions, on the other hand, tend to contain humectants. Humectants bring moisture to our skin, which is important for healthy skin barrier function. The downside is that not all body creams contain the essential fatty acids that oils do. Low-quality body lotions are often lighter than oils, and depending on the formula can evaporate from the skin more quickly.
PRO TIP: Bamford Geranium hand and body lotion is a moisture-rich blend of botanical oils with protective aloe vera
Major Benefits of Body Oils
#1: Seal in moisture
Perhaps one of the most prominent benefits of oils is their occlusive action. While they don’t draw moisture to the surface of the skin, they will seal in hydration that’s already been applied. Hydration can come from damp skin or our moisturizer and can be sealed in and therefore enhanced by a body oil.
#2: Smooth and soften
Oils work so well because they imitate the natural lipids present in our skin barrier. Lipids help to fill gaps between our skin cells caused by dryness or flaking, creating a smoother surface. We need these lipids to help trap moisture in our skin; without them, we’re more likely to suffer from dry or scaly patches.
#3: Instill antioxidants
The antioxidants in many oils can help protect our skin from ageing and sun damage. While we can use retinol or vitamin C serums for our faces, we often don’t have the same anti-ageing options for our bodies.
Oils are a great way to remedy that! Choose oils that are high in vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E, they’re among the most effective for free radical protection and collagen production. Wheat germ oil offers one of the highest concentrations of vitamin E and can have big benefits for dryness, scars, and stretch marks.
#4: More moisturizing than facial oils
We know that certain oils can be pore-clogging – especially for acne or oily skin. If you patch tested oil and found it comedogenic, why not use it for your body? Heavier oils can be great for eliminating dry patches on your body, particularly if you suffer from eczema or psoriasis.
How to Use a Body Oil
There’s technically no “wrong” way to use oil for the body. However, there are certain ways to maximize the effects! We’re listing the do’s and don’ts here to help you tell your guests how to get the best results.
- Apply oil after a sudsy shower or therapeutic bath soak. Pat your skin down, but keep it a bit damp to maximize the moisture gained from the bath. Another option is to apply oil in-shower after using body wash and before drying down. This saves some extra time of applying lotion after a bath. Advice to be careful not to slip!
- Apply a bit of body oil before a shower, particularly if your guest suffers from compromised skin. Cleansing can strip much-needed moisture from very dry and sensitive skin. Oil can create a barrier between the skin and the water, to mitigate some of that moisture loss.
- Add a few drops of oil to your body cream. Not only does an oil provide a more luxurious feel, but it also provides more occlusive action for dry skin that needs it.
- Use a few drops of oil in the bath. High-quality plant oils mixed with citrus or rose essential oils can make the bathwater smell divine while providing deep moisturization.
- Massage the body. While facial massages are important, you should pamper and provide the body with relaxation, too. Focus on areas where you hold the most tension, like shoulders and calves.
- Use heavier oils on humid summer nights, this can make your body sweat more throughout the evening. Stick to lightweight oils that absorb quickly, like argan or sea buckthorn oil.
- Use heavier oils on the chest and back if your guest is prone to acne. Again, stick to lightweight oils that won’t cause the acne areas to break out.
- Use oils before the creams. Since oils are heavier, the lotion or cream won’t be able to break through and provide hydration. Either skip the cream altogether or use it before the body oil.
- Use oils when sunbathing. Baby oil, for instance, can speed up the rate of sunburn, especially if you don’t use sunscreen. Ditch the oils on beach and pool days – stick to a moisturizing sunscreen like COOLA’s!
Picking out an oil might just be the best choice you can make for your guests’ skin, especially in the hot summer months. An oil simultaneously seals in moisture, promotes supple skin, and provides anti-ageing benefits. While oils might not replace your creams and lotions, they’re a worthwhile investment for your long-term skin health.
Browse the most interesting updates in the market of luxury yachts eco toiletries. Subscribe to our Newsletter for more info!
Jamila García is a true inspiration for hundreds of new stewardesses, sharing all her knowledge with grace, warmth, and an unwavering passion for the yachting industry. WEBSITE | INSTAGRAM | LINKEDIN Providing top-notch service and personalized experiences to UHNW...
Jamila García is a true inspiration for hundreds of new stewardesses, sharing all her knowledge with grace, warmth, and an unwavering passion for the yachting industry. WEBSITE | INSTAGRAM | LINKEDINFueling Wellness: A Guide to Following a Healthy Diet for Super...
Welcome to the paradise of fitness at sea! If you're lucky enough to find yourself on a luxury yacht in your fantastic life as a yacht steweardess, there's no reason to neglect your fitness routine. Here we present a list of exercises that you can do to stay in shape...
Bamford 50, 100 and 250ml Hand and Body Lotion. Available also in 5 litres refill.
Bamford 125 ml Body Oil Botanic. 98% organic ingredients certified.